1st EMF-Med World Conference on Biomedical Applications of Electromagnetic Fields
Split, 10-13 September 2018
Contribute to development and optimization of innovative EMF-based medical devices and procedures, which will be safer, more efficient and less invasive!
The conference is organized to promote systematical research and development of EMF-Med topics: beneficial biomedical interactions and applications of electromagnetic fields (EMFs).
Inspired by promising recent studies, EMF-Med focuses on medically applicable effects of EMFs, aiming for breakthrough results, new discoveries and innovative biomedical technologies.
The systematical approach to EMF-Med applications requires a dedicated community - a world-wide concerted R&D network - to sustain the required interdisciplinary knowledge: underlying biological mechanisms, knowledgable engineering, reliable setups - having medical applications and patient benefit as the final goal.
The conference is also the outcome and the final event of a 4-year research coordination project COST EMF-MED: European network for innovative uses of EMFs in biomedical applications, involving 35 countries and 350+ researchers.
COST EMF-MED – the very first research initiative in the world to systematically and comprehensively approach the topic of beneficial effects of EMFs – provides a cooperative framework to support the research on beneficial biological effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and their use in biomedical applications.
Industry participation and related topics are welcome.
The conference will be followed by the (first ever!) Focus Issue of the Bioelectromagnetics journal (published by Wiley, IF: 1.933), dedicated to EMF-Med 2018 conference. Check the Call for Papers below.
List of currently approved special sessions:
List will be appended as more sessions are approved.
Descriptions will be posted soon.
Proposing and convening the sessions:
All types of special sessions can still be proposed and added to the program. Download the template for Convened Session / Special Session / Workshop / Tutorial / Short Course proposal and send it to: COST-EMF-MED@fesb.hr, minding the rationale as follows.
Convened Sessions (based on a topic from the list or similar; targeting an open group of authors) and Special Sessions (a specific topic, method or ongoing project; targeting a specific group of authors) are based on a group of submitted papers/abstracts, as proposed by proposers submitting the data required in the proposal template, demonstrating the ability to collect a group of papers/abstracts. The sessions will be open for paper/abstract submission and selectable at the paper/abstract submission site in addition to the listed topics.
Workshop is an interactive form on a specific topic or issue, engaging a group of presenters, may be based on submitted papers/abstracts (but not necessarily) – upon agreement with the Organizational Committee.
Tutorials (shorter form, 1-2 lectures) and Short Courses (2 or more lectures) are topic review and knowledge sharing forms, and are not required to be accompanied by paper/abstract submission.
Support from related societies and organizations is welcome (please contact the conference organization).
Academic: 150 EUR + 25% VAT
Student: 120 EUR + 25% VAT
Industry: 300 EUR + 25% VAT
Registration will be open soon.
Academic: 200 EUR + 25% VAT
Student: 150 EUR + 25% VAT
Industry: 400 EUR + 25% VAT
The authors choose one of the two tracks (either "Track 1 - Papers" or "Track 2 - Abstracts") when submitting the manuscript in EDAS, according to the following explanations.
For both tracks, the same IEEE 2-column A4 Word template must be used, fitting the manuscript length as requested below.
Track 1 - Papers: Paper submission is accepted as a 2-page manuscript. Use the template linked above and fit your manuscript to exactly 2 pages.
• Submissions longer than 2 pages will not be allowed in the system, and shorter than 2 pages will be automatically transferred to the track of abstracts, and will be treated accordingly – see below.
• Upon peer-review and acceptance, the papers will be published in the conference Proceedings.
• After the conference presentation, the papers will be indexed in IEEE Xplore® Digital Library. Copyright will be asked from the authors when submitting the camera-ready version.
• The IEEE paper format contains also the short abstract, which will be automatically copied and shown also in the second conference book, the Book of Abstracts. This will be done by the system. Accordingly, please mind to keep this short abstract between 50 - 150 words.
• Consequently, the paper will be visible both in the Proceedings (as the full paper) and in the Book of Abstracts (as a short abstract).
• IEEE no-show policy will be followed: a paper may be excluded from IEEE Xplore® Digital Library indexing if the paper is not presented at the conference.
Track 2 - Abstracts: Due to explicit requests from authors either wanting to present their work at the conference but without getting indexed, or wanting to present a manuscript shorter than 2 pages, the conference also has a second submission track for abstracts. Therefore, authors may opt to submit only the abstract, not the paper.
• Abstract submission is accepted as max. 2 pages long, but may also be shorter. Use the template linked above and fit your manuscript to max. 2 pages.
• Upon peer-review and acceptance, the abstracts will be published only in the conference Book of Abstracts (but not in the Proceedings)!
• The abstracts will not be indexed in IEEE Xplore® Digital Library!
Both papers and abstracts can apply to be considered for the Focus Issue of the Bioelectromagnetics journal (published by Wiley, IF: 1.933), dedicated to EMF-Med 2018 conference. Check the Call for Papers below.
All paper and abstract submissions must be received in PDF format via EDAS submission system. Submitting a paper via EDAS consists of these steps:
• Follow the link below, leading you directly to EMF-Med 2018 submission page in EDAS.
• Log into EDAS or create your EDAS account.
• Register your paper.
• Add authors.
• Submit the manuscript file, prepared according to the instructions.
Conference papers (but not the abstracts, as explained above) will be indexed and permanently available in IEEE Xplore® Digital Library, starting soon after the conference, and therefore accessible in other major indexing and databases as well.
We are pleased to inform you that the conference will be followed by a Focus Issue of the Bioelectromagnetics journal (published by Wiley, IF: 1.933), dedicated to EMF-Med 2018 conference.
Don't forget: Add COST EMF-MED acknowledgment to your manuscripts according to these instructions!
Split is a highly popular tourist destination, served by Split Airport. With ever increasing popularity of the destination, there is a wide selection of airlines during the summer season (September included).
September is high season for tourist visits, so plan your accommodation as early as possible.
Split is situated at the Adriatic coast and features a typical Mediterranean climate with warm summers. September is practically a summer month, providing plenty of beach time with more pleasant temperatures (less heat) than July and August (see weather statistics).
Tourist Board of Split: official website
Tourist Board of Dalmatia: official website
Tourist Board of Croatia: official website
Split: Awarded Croatia's Best City Break Destination and Best Destination of the Year 2017
Centrally located on the Adriatic coast and well connected, Split provides the most convenient base to visit nearby beatiful Dalmatian islands, national parks, and other popular destinations like Dubrovnik, Trogir, Sibenik, Zadar etc.